73 articles tagged "Afghanistan"
|
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
October 26, 2008, 11:27 AM (GMT+02:00)
Saudi foreign minister Prince Saud al-Faisal has confirmed for the first time that the kingdom has been sponsoring talks between the Afghan government the Taliban. But the effort appears to be stalled. The prince warned Tuesday that it now depends on the parties' renunciation of violence, laying down their arms ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
October 23, 2008, 8:45 AM (GMT+02:00)
Afghan defense officials report the attack by helicopter gunship took place against an Afghan army post in Khost province in the southeast late Tuesday, Oct. 21. Four other soldiers were hurt. A joint investigation is under way.
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
October 23, 2008, 8:04 AM (GMT+02:00)
US Army General John Craddock, supreme allied commander in Europe, warned that NATO's operations in Afghanistan are affected by a shortfall of troops. In a speech in London, Monday, Oct. 20, Craddock also said: "The conflict in Afghanistan cannot be won by military means alone."
debkafile adds: This ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
October 18, 2008, 9:36 PM (GMT+02:00)
Afghan police report 18 Taleban attackers were killed on Wednesday, Oct. 15 in their second attempt this week to capture the Helmund capital of Lashkar Gah.
NATO and US commanders are concerned about the insurgents' redoubled determination to capture a major Afghan town. The number of attacks in Afghanistan has ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
August 22, 2008, 10:08 PM (GMT+02:00)
President Nicolas Sarkozy arrived in Afghanistan Wednesday, Aug. 20, two days after 10 French soldiers were killed in battle with Taliban 30 km east of Kabul.
Local sources said 13 insurgents had been killed in the clash. Sarkozy said he did no regret his decision to deploy another 700 French troops to ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
August 19, 2008, 12:57 PM (GMT+02:00)
Sources in the French presidency confirmed the deaths of at least 10 soldiers in heavy fighting 30 km east of Kabul Tuesday, Aug. 19, sparked by a Taliban attack on a French patrol.
Local sources said 13 insurgents had been killed. Near the border with Pakistan, insurgents were earlier thrown back ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
July 19, 2008, 6:13 PM (GMT+02:00)
Hundreds of insurgents broke through the defenses of the small American Combat Outpost at Wanat in the Dara-I-Pech district of Kunar Province in eastern Afghanistan Friday and Saturday, July 11 and 12, in one of the biggest battles of the war. Nine US soldiers were killed and 15 injured - ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
July 17, 2008, 12:06 PM (GMT+02:00)
In his harshest attack on Pakistan yet, Afghan president Hamid Karzai accused the ISI intelligence agency of being behind the latest upsurge of Taliban attacks and scores of deaths. His statement was issued after Afghan cabinet members met in Kabul Tuesday, July 15, on the increasing instability in the country. ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
June 30, 2008, 9:46 AM (GMT+02:00)
Friday, June 28, the Pentagon in Washington warned that "Islamist guerrillas" had "coalesced into a resilient insurgency" in Afghanistan and are likely to "maintain or even increase the scope and pace of their terrorist attacks."
debkafile's military sources note that this assessment flies in the face of the ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
June 20, 2008, 6:47 PM (GMT+02:00)
More than 1,000 Afghan and Canadian NATO troops backed by helicopter gun-ships killed 56 Taliban fighters Thursday, June 19, 23 Wednesday, at the outset of a big operation to root hundreds of insurgents from an area from which they threatened to capture Kandahar.
Two Afghan officers were also killed, as the ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
June 18, 2008, 8:27 PM (GMT+02:00)
The Pakistan foreign ministry summoned the Afghan ambassador to Islamabad Monday, June 16, to hear a formal protest and a warning that his government would retaliate if Afghanistan launched a cross-border attack. Pakistan prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said his country would brook no interference in its affairs.
In his ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
April 30, 2008, 10:12 AM (GMT+02:00)
President Hamid Karzai escaped unhurt, but debkafile's counter terror sources report that a small band of Taliban attackers managed to break up the US-backed Afghan government's biggest, showiest parade ever by putting to flight its national elite and parading counter-terror troops. Three people were killed, 12 injured. As ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
March 24, 2008, 11:39 PM (GMT+02:00)
The defense ministry in Kabul reported that Mullah Hashim was killed with 50 of his fighters in a joint air and ground operation near Deh Rawood in the southern Afghan province of Uruzgan. NATO forces in this province are under Dutch command. In Kandahar, two US troops were killed by ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
January 19, 2008, 12:38 PM (GMT+02:00)
A Taliban spokesman warned more attacks would target Westerners and the foreign military eating at Kabul restaurants, a day after eight people were killed, including a Norwegian reporter and an American, in a brazen suicide-shooting attack on the five-star Kabul Serena Hotel.
Four men were arrested, included one of the gunmen ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
January 18, 2008, 8:43 PM (GMT+02:00)
Their deployment, not yet officially confirmed, will boost US forces in Afghanistan to 30,000, the highest level since the 2001 invasion.
Local commanders have called for another 7,500 more troops to ward off al Taliban-al Qaeda encroachments, reported by debkafile's counter-terror sources as encompassing 70 percent of Afghanistan. ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
December 27, 2007, 1:50 PM (GMT+02:00)
Tuesday, Dec. 25, Kabul declared two officials persona non grata for meeting with Taliban insurgents without the knowledge of the Karzai government. They are identified as acting head of the European Union mission Michael Semple from Ireland and senior UN official Marvin Patterson of UK. One Afghan official said that ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
December 8, 2007, 11:06 AM (GMT+02:00)
Twenty-two Afghan civilians were injured. US secretary of defense Robert Gates arrived in the Afghan capital Tuesday on a surprise visit. The bomber missed his target by a couple of hours, but came close enough to point to an insider tip. NATO military leaders are concerned by rising levels of ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
October 21, 2007, 11:21 AM (GMT+02:00)
Gen. Dan McNeil, commander of the NATO-led ISAF confirmed to journalists in Kabul Thursday that the convoy had contained a number of "advanced technology improvised explosive devices." He said he could not conceive that this convoy could have reached Afghanistan from Iran without the knowledge of the Iran military.
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
October 3, 2007, 1:28 PM (GMT+02:00)
Suspicious police prevented the bomber getting on the bus and shot him, after which he blew himself up, causing casualties on the bus and the street.
The Taleban claimed this attack like the one four days ago in which a suicide bomber in army uniform blew up a military bus in ...
DEBKAfile
Exclusive Report
August 29, 2007, 5:23 PM (GMT+02:00)
The entire group is to be released after Seoul agreed to pull its troops out of Afghanistan within a year. A Taliban spokesman promised they would all be handed over in two or three days. The weeping women were handed to the Red Cross in Ghazni province wearing long head ...
|


