At least 34 killed, 200 injured in terrorist attacks on Brussels airport and Metro

Brussels was hit by two major terrorist attacks Tuesday, March 22, which left at least 34 dead and 200 injured. At least 14 confirmed dead,dozens injured in two explosions before 8 a.m. Tuesday, March 22, inside the departure hall of Brussels airport, casued by a suicide bomber and apparently originating at the American Airlines desk. Belgian media report that shots and shouts in Arabic were heard at the time of the blasts. Sky correspondent Alex Rossi reported from the airport when the explosions occurred. He was on his way to the gate for a flight to Tel Aviv along with a number of Israeli and Jewish passengers. Two are reported among the injured..

All flights from Europe to Israel have been cancelled.

The windows of the building were blown out and clouds of dust and smoke are billowing out. Police quickly evacuated passengers in case of attackers remaining in the hall and left them standing on the tarmac to wait for coaches and taken to a crisis center in Brussels.  Panicked people ignored police instructions to leave their hand baggage behind as they fled.  The Belgian authorities have placed the airport on lockdown and halted rail traffic to the facility

Airport spokesman all flights are grounded and travelers advised not to come to the airport. All European airports react to the terrorist outrage by double-checking and tightening security.

A second explosion hit the Belgian capital an hour later Tuesday, at the Maelbeek Metro station of the Jewish suburb near European Union headquarters.  At least 20 people were reported killed and 55 injured, raising to at least 34 people killed in two Brussels terrorist attacks. Belgian security agencies placed the station on lockdown and shut down all Metro stations and public transport across the capital. Belgian security services  braced for a third terrorist attack. The attacks came four days after Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the multiple Paris attacks which left 130 dead, was captured in Brussels, with more suspected Islamic State terrorists still at large.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email