“We just prevented a pending, large-scale attack of multiple killer drones on Israel by striking Iranian Quds Force operatives and Shiite Militia targets in Syria, said the Israeli military spokesman after midnight Saturday, Aug. 24. Iron Dome batteries were deployed across northern Israel and Israeli Air Force and intelligence bases placed on high alert. DEBKAfile’s military sources: The IDF stood ready for the Iranians to have prepared a “second strike” option if their first attempt to explode their drones over northern Israel failed.
While Iranian had carried out three rocket and other attacks on Israel last year, the use of advanced kamikaze drones set to explode on contact with targets was a new and a different type of threat. said the IDF spokesman Jonathan Conricus. Israel had monitored the plot for several months and on Thursday prevented Iran from making an “advanced attempt” to execute the same plan. He said the Israeli air attack had also targeted “a number of terror targets and military facilities belonging to the Quds force as well as Shiite militias.”
“This was a significant plan with significant capabilities that had been planned for a few months,” Conricus said. “It was not something done on a low level, but rather top down from the Quds Force.” Then, Iran tried again late Saturday to carry out the same attack, said the spokesman.
Israeli rarely admits to its attacks across its borders against Iranian targets. IDF chief of staff Lt. Gen. Aviv Kochavi conducted this operation. Community leaders on the Golan were briefed and told to stand ready for developments. At 2 a.m Sunday morning, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu conducted a special meeting at IDF headquarters in Tel Aviv.