The 17 nations meeting in Vienna Friday, led by the US, Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia, reached accord on seven points for a political resolution of the Syrian civil war.
1) Syria’s territorial integrity and secular character will be preserved.
2) Government institutions, including the army and security forces, will continue to function after a political accord is achieved.
3) Syrian territory must be secured. (Under whose responsibility?)
4) ISIS and other extremist Muslim groups must be defeated.
5) Syrian government and rebel parties will meet to hammer out a political solution for ending the conflict.
6) General elections will take place under UN auspices.
7) The Syrians will administer their own political moves without outside interference.
8) The Syrian question will be solved by political means alone.
DEBKAfile: The main issue still outstanding is the fate of Bashar Assad. This will be discussed when the multinational session conference is reconvened in two weeks’ time.