Latest on Turkish coup bid. Erdogan says he’s in charge
President Tayyip Erdogan declared he is in charge after suppressing an attempted military coup which he called an act of treason. After his return to Istanbul overnight, the Turkey's state-run news agency said Saturday morning that the military chief of staff Gen. Hulusi Akar had been rescued from military headquarters in Ankara after being held hostage in the coup bid Friday.
At least 90 people were killed, 1,000 injured and 1,563 plotters arrested, according to official claims. Gen. Memduh Hakbilen, the chief of staff of Turkey's command for the Aegean region, is among those arrested. An emergency parliament session was scheduled for later after explosions hit the building . Some 60 soldiers surrendered on a Bosphorus bridge. The attempted coup appears to be losing momentum and clashes have died down, but there are still pockets of resistance. Five generals were suspended. Turkish Army Forces (the plotters) published its last memo at 6.50 am local saying “movement continues"