Manchester terrorist linked to ISIS, ‘likely’ did not act alone

Reports on Wednesday said that Salman Abedi, the terrorist who carried out the bombing of Manchester Arena, had been in contact with ISIS figures and had recently visited Syria. The British national of Libyan descent was known to the security services but reportedly was not considered a high risk. He was said to have returned to Britain from Libya days before the attack. A number of men from South Manchester, where the bomber had a registered address, joined ISIS and died fighting for the terrorist organization in Syria. 
Meanwhile, British Home Minister Amber Rudd said Wednesday that it seems "likely, possible" that Abedi had accomplices. She added that the police and intelligence services are continuing to pursue leads. British security forces have arrested a 23-year-old male suspect who some reports have identified as Abedi's brother. A meeting of the country's emergency committee Cobra was scheduled to be held in the morning. 
Monday's incident in which 22 people died and 69 others were injured was the worst terrorist attack in Britain since the July 2005 bombings in London. The Manchester police have urged citizens to remain vigilant in the aftermath of the attack. Britain has raised its threat level from severe to critical. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Comments containing incitement, libel or offensive language are barred under DEBKAfile’s regulations

Your email address will not be published.