The White House announced that President Donald Trump was pulling out of his scheduled summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore on June 12. The statement said that the “tremendous anger and hostility” shown by Kim was inappropriate and led to a “missed opportunity and a truly sad moment in history.” This step came after North Korea called Vice President Mike Pence a “political dummy” and said it is “just as ready to meet in a nuclear confrontation as at the negotiating table.” Pence spoke after national security adviser John Bolton suggested that the nuclear deal with North Korea could follow the Libyan model. North Korea appears meanwhile to have blown up tunnels at its only nuclear test site, at Punggye-ri in the north-east, causing a big blast. Pyongyang later said the site had been dismantled. Independent inspectors were not allowed to witness the dismantling, raising concerns that it could be reversible.