Moscow pointedly allows East Jerusalem venue for US-Russian-Israeli Mid-East security meeting
The first gettogether of the US, Russian and Israel national security advisers on Tuesday, June 25 in Jerusalem proved a useful forum for the powers to air pressing Mid East concerns even without a breakthrough. John Bolton, Nikolai Patrushev and Meir Ben-Shabbat, who was upstaged by Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, also shone interesting light on their boss’s respective policies.
- President Donald Trump’s anti-Iran offensive seems to have narrowed down to a single focus, i.e., Iran will never be allowed to acquire a nuclear bomb. The 12-point ultimatum for Iran elaborated not long ago by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has faded away. Since Trump’s next steps are unknown, there was not much point in the three security advisers coming to conclusions or even indulging in far-reaching brainstorming.
- There was also little point in trying to double-guess Iran’s next moves. Tehran abruptly killed any form of diplomacy with Washington after the imposition of US sanctions on Monday, June 24 against supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Even the quiet, discreet dialogue taking place in Baghdad, with Swiss and Iraqi mediation, that was revealed exclusively by DEBKAfile, has been shut down.
- All three officials concurred in urging the removal of all foreign troops from Syria as a general proposition, although they were divided – the US and Israel versus Russia – on the Iranian military presence there and other details.
- The US national security adviser John Bolton limped into the meeting after President Trump cut him down in an NBC interview: “John Bolton is absolutely a hawk,” he said. “If it was up to him, he’d take on the whole world at one time.” Not long ago, Bolton was Trump’s chief point man with the Kremlin, but this role appears to have faded in recent months. Bolton’s troubles at home helped reduce parts of the tripartite event to a conversation between the Russian and Israeli advisers.
- Therefore, the plan was ditched for Bolton and Patrushev, with Netanyahu’s assistance, to produce a joint working script on key Middle East issues for the Trump-Putin sitdown at the Osaka G20 summit later this month.
- That the top security officials of the two world powers sat down at the same table in Jerusalem to discuss vital regional issues in partnership with Israel must be chalked up to Netanyahu as an extraordinary feat of diplomacy and an unprecedented boost for Israel’s international prestige.
- A little noticed feature of the event was another groundbreaker. It was Moscow’s consent to the Israeli prime minister chairing this high-powered meeting at an East Jerusalem venue, the Orient Hotel. By that gesture, along with other pro-Israeli steps, Putin injected some Russian input into Trump’s recognition of both parts of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Putin was not amiss to the security conference in Jerusalem outshining the US-sponsored economic event on the future of the Palestinians which took place on the same day in Manama, Bahrain.
- In a speech opening the meeting, Netanyahu announced that President Putin would be visiting Israel later this year. This news was completely ignored by the local media. It was taken rightly as another vote of support for Netanyahu’s run for re-election in September, just as the Kremlin backed him in the April vote.
36 thoughts on “Moscow pointedly allows East Jerusalem venue for US-Russian-Israeli Mid-East security meeting”
Often overlooked is the delicate balancing act performed by Netanyahu in his dealings with the superpowers and particularly the one on its North Eastern border. Certainly a measure of credit is warranted.
Come again? I’m still looking for a superpower on Israel’s NE border. All I seem to come up with is a client state.
The occupiers of Palestine have no borders.
They have only more or less land whose theft the world has not yet undone.
Palestine cannot be “occupied” because Palestine was a British occupation, named after a Roman occupation, named after an ancient extinct people called the Phillistines. Palestine is a modern myth.
Semitic people occupied Palestine, before the UN sanctioned the invasion of their white squatters.
you are a racist pig. the only squatters are the arab migrants who flocked to take the jobs created by the zionist revival.
Are you serious?The first most Semitic nation is Yemen at 80%, and Israel the Jewish nation is 70% Semitic. The Saudis are 50%, Lebanon and Jordan are 40% and Syria is 30%. You are a racist, and wrong.
Ayatoolas Khomeni and KhaKhameni look more Chinese than Persian.
Even Russia acknowledges that Unified Jerusalem belongs to Israel.
Nice to see the Russians and Americans agreeing on the middle east. Its a no brainer that the Israelis are the most reliable inhabitants of that region, can be relied upon, and are not volatile like the muslims are.
Nobody more reliably applies apartheid or attacks neighboring states.
Nobody more reliably teams up with the Saud family pedophiles to attack the poorest country on the hemisphere.
Nobody more reliably blows smoke about what it wants to do and cries to its benefactors about the protection and help it needs.
Nobody mentioned nor worried about Iranian Regime is the biggest Insult was being Ignored, not a Threat, and remains a Pigeon Prey on Another Day.
“Not a threat.”
Russia understand the issues of extremism in its territories, has had plenty of experience dealing with them. That common ground, same as Israel has w Gulf Sunni states, has resonated last 10 years and could lead to forward steps in dealing w Iran and the peace process, Palestinians.
PA had best begin negotiating b4 everyone tunes them out, it’s getting tiresome for Qatar, others
Apparently Abbas doesn’t like being sidelined. He said yesterday that he is ready to return to the negotiating table.
“I will go to the White House and continue what I started with [US President] Donald Trump,” Abbas said.
The PLO has had 12 Opportunities to seek Peace and Refuse all of them, going for 13th is up to them, and should be viewed as a Lucky Number now!
Iranian abhor any War as seen by the many Shrines of the Millions Killed in the 8-Year War Lost with Iraq, which Iran lost, leaving a Burning Psyche Effect, In contrasts, Americans Won Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in Weeks with Few Casualties. President Trump “Obliteration” Reminder has quieted the Iranian Attacks.
“1 Thessalonians 5:1-3 (KJV)
1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.”
Sometimes I wonder about this prophecy, . . .
Does Russia support the United States, along with the occupiers of Palestine, funding terrorist mercenaries to attack Syria?
I wonder if Russia asked the United States for more sanctions…
We agree, Iran accepts being on Economic Sanctions and the Major Powers Snubs Iranian Leaders that ended Diplomacy, and President is quite Clear, No Nukes, and does not Exist until Iran Calls.
The unimaginable pressures on Netanyahu for a forced resignation, after his exposure by the Mueller Report being court ordered un-redacted and published on May 31st. The Kahanist Netanyahu has been ‘shrunk’ both for his megalomanic hallucinations of a Greater Israel, or of his latter desperate ‘Mad King Bibi of the Kahanist Hermit Kingdom of Judea and Samaria’ incarnation,
BREAKING – Putin basically read his Riot Act to the B Team Bolton and Bibi – here are the leaked summary;
1- Iran is staying in Syria, with our S400 ‘Shia Shield’ stretching from Beirut to Busher
2- Iran has earned the right thru it’s commitment to peace despite the Israeli ‘Clean Break Plan’ until those ambitions were ‘no longer operable’. See #1
3- Please give our regards to Vicki, and as she might say, ‘Fulsome Best Wishes for Israel’
S500s not S400s for Turkey, probably India and China too – Turkey Says It Now Plans On Manufacturing Russia’s S-500 Air Defense System
The F35s already in Turkey will be good drone gaming for the S400/S500 calibrations
kind of puts a damper on all those free S35s Israel is getting. maybe just stick with the drone swarm ideas
Remember that Bolton and Vicki Nuland and the rest of the Neocons wanted the Ukraine to attack Russia? What would a sane Israeli do, instead of being Netanyahu and insisting his Constant Golden Shower is just rain? Putin must just look at Netanyahu’s desperation now and just laugh
Could Bibi just be that autistic or dumb?
‘Payback is an Ivanka’ – whether coming from Trump for shafting him on the Peace Process or now, Putin, after Netanyahu shafting him on Ukraine. Can you just imagine how much Putin hates Netanyahu and what he thinks of him pleading now about war with Iran, after what Netanyahu/Neocons/Vicki Nuland did to him on Ukraine? What a blithering idiot and Putin just made it hurt in a very public way
Signed Sealed and Delivered
Netanyahu should be publicly toppled and driven from power as is happening now, next he should be prosecuted by Mandelblit, then send to the Hague for final dispositions.
DO NOT allow Netanyahu to remain in Israel, he must be eventually extradited to the Hague, along with the rest of the ICC prosecutions from Gaza 2014, the Apartheid Israeli Regime, Gaza 2018/2019, etc
Putin knows many Russian Living in Israel.
and how many of the engineers who designed his favourite weapons, live in tel aviv.
“We will mobilize the brave and work to end the Netanyahu regime, Bibi, this is the time and it is your last moment to go home of your own free will. I warn you not to try to drag a whole country into chaos to get out of jail. You will run into millions of Israelis who are not ready to play that game.” – ehud barak today
A Short “Obliteration” will Remove the Nukes, IRGC, and Mullahs. Let other “USA Trade Nations” do the Chaotic Nation Fund and Rebuild especially Nations needing Iran’s Crude. A Great Outcome Globally, America, Gulf States, Kurds, Israel and Persians! Perfect G-20 Timing!
The never existed “falastynian nation” – like like a huge parasitic worm, absorbed untold billions of $$
from the world’s body. Now, these creature is creating its final “need” – political legitimacy !
…Speaking of rampant and acute insanity…!
The Orient Hotel is NOT in East Jerusalem.
Israelis again elected Prime Minister Lt. Hamas Mufti Bibi to Prime Minister. Bibi is a 100% guarantee of terrorism against Jews.
Then you will get: Terrorism, arson – it’s just fireworks at the wedding of Bibi with Hamas. 12 years Bibi fun trading truce with Hamas. Generously pays for their terrorism. The entire leadership of Hamas “our” Bibi made a good life by multimillionaires .. Terrorists in prison are studying in Israeli universities on the terms of a 5-star hotel. Illustrative trials of the patriots of Israel Tsakhal soldiers boys disgusting farce, entertainment show for the Arabs. The problem is not the millionaires of Hamas pals accomplices Bibi. The problem of Bibi’s clique including all the pack of politicians.
Comments are closed.