Indian police release names, photos of Islamic terrorists who carried out Mumbai siege

Under the caption “The faces of Terror,” the Indian police Tuesday, Dec. 9, released the names and photos of the terrorists who attacked Mumbai Nov. 26 and killed more than 170 people. Their places of origin, aliases and real names were also revealed. All ten came from Pakistan’s Punjab province.
The two terrorists who slaughtered six Israelis at the Mumbai Chabad Center were Abu Umer – real name Nasir, from Faisalabad and Abu Akasha – real name Babar Imran, from Multan.
Two of the eight photos released were taken from dead bodies. Their identity cards were too charred to be used. The ninth was badly defaced and the 10th is in custody. debkafile adds: The exposure of the ten terrorists’ identities will further fuel military tensions between India and Pakistan and Islamabad’s expectation of reprisals by New Delhi against Lashkar-e-Taiba bases. Yet Pakistan stands by its refusal to hand over or give Indian access to the Lashkar-e-e Taiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhwi, said to be behind the Mumbai terror strikes.
In a special briefing ion Mumbai, Joint Commissioner of Police Rakesh Maria said the names of the nine terrorists killed in the encounter were obtained from Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman who was caught alive.
The two who attacked Mumbai’s railway terminus and hospital were identified as Ismail Khan alias Abu Ismail from Dera Ismail Khan, and Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman alias Abu Mujahid from Okara. Those who attacked Taj Hotel in south Mumbai were named as Hafeez Arshad alias Bada Abdul Rehman from Multan, Javed alias Abu Ali from Okara, Shoaib alias Soheb from Sialkot and Nazeer alias Abu Umer from Faisalabad.
Abdul Rehman alias Abdul Rehman Chhota from Multan and Fahadullah alias Abu Fahad from Okara were the duo which attacked the Trident Oberoi hotel.
Their ages averaged between 23 and 25, the Indian police officer reported. They were given aliases during training to preserve their identities from each other. Their training in arms and explosives is believed to have taken place for more than a year at four locations in Pakistan. Some also underwent three weeks of indoctrination.
Nasir, Nazeer and Ismail Khan, allegedly the leader of the group, had participated in terror missions earlier, Maria said. He refused to provide details of their previous missions.
While sailing for three days into Indian waters on board the Gujarat-based fishing vessel “Kuber,”
which the terrorists hijacked, they spoke to each other and that was how the captured gunman discovered their names and places of origin.
The police chief reported: “We are examining the contents of the four GPS devices, one satellite phone and nine mobile phones that have been recovered.” He refused to say if the SIM cards found in the mobiles were of Indian origin but said one used by the terrorists had been purchased in Kolkata and two people had been arrested for obtaining them using forged documents.
Ten days after the Islamic massacre, the new head of the Chabad center is preparing to restore the facility which was a home from home for Israeli and Jewish visitors and name it for its murdered director Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his wife Rivka.
The Taj Hotel pledged its reopening would be marked with an interfaith ceremony.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email